Are you having trouble figuring which period sermon to preach at your next reenactment? I have five suggestion.
Whitefield has four sermon/pamphlets that deal with the New-Birth that might work well. Whitefield is more Calvinist than Armenian, but I think that the New Birth is common to both.
One is four pages long, one is eight pages, another is 30 pages, and Marks of the New birth is 24 pages.
- I have given thousands of Whitefield’s, A Prayer for one desiring to be awakened to an Experience of the New-Birth away. It is a four-page pamphlet. You may already have this one in your library. You may purchase this pamphlet for 95 cents from my Etsy Store at the following link. Purchase Here
2. I have also given away hundreds of Whitefield’s 8-page sermon/pamphlet, New Birth. You may have this one in your library as well. This New Birth pamphlet has two sections. The first section is titled A Prayer for one desiring to be awakened to an Experience of the New-Birth [this is the same as the four page pamphlet mentioned above] and the second is titled, A Prayer for one newly awakened to a Sense of the Divine Life. You may purchase this pamphlet for $1.95 from my Etsy Store at the following link: Purchase Here
3. “The Nature and Necessity of our New Birth in Christ Jesus, In order to Salvation” is another New-Birth sermon/pamphlet by George Whitefield. The subtitle of this sermon is “Of our New Birth in Christ JESUS”. Whitefield breaks the sermon down into four sections. See the transcription below.
First, I shall endeavour to explain what is meant by being in CHRIST: If any Man be in CHRIST.
Secondly, What we are to understand by being a New Creature. If any Man be in CHRIST, (says the Apostle) he us a new Creature.
Thirdly, I shall produce some Arguments to prove WHY we must be New Creatures e’er we can be in CHRIST.
Fourthly and lastly, I shall draw some Inferences from what will have been delivered, and then conclude with a Word or two of Exhortation from the Whole.
“The Nature and Necessity of our New Birth…” is a 32 page sermon/pamphlet printed on laid paper and stab-stitched together with linen thread. It measures 4 1/2 inches wide by 6 1/2 inches tall. Its complete title is “The Nature and Necessity of our New Birth in Christ Jesus, In order to Salvation: A Sermon preached in the Church of St. Mary Radcliffe in Bristol. By George Whitefield, A.B. of Pembroke-College, Oxford.” Printed for C. Rivington at the Bible and Crown in St. Paul’s Church-yard, and J. Hutton at the Bible and Sun, next the Rose-Tavern with Temple-Bar. 1739. You may purchase this pamphlet for $9.95 from my Etsy Store at the following link: Purchase Here
- This next sermon/pamphlet by George Whitefield is also about the “New-Birth”, I call is by the pamphlet’s name on the header. “The Marks of the New Birth”. It was printed in 1739. It is a 24-page stab bound pamphlet that measures 4 1/2 inches wide by 6 1/2 inches tall. The subtitle is “Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed?”. Whitefield divides this sermon into three sections [*see the transcription below]. Following the sermon, the last five pages of this pamphlet consists of two sections. The first section is titled, “A Prayer for one desiring to be awakened to an Experience of the New Birth” and then the second, shorter section is titled, “A Prayer for one newly awakened to a Sense of the Divine Life”.
*First, I shall shew wo the Holy Ghost here spoken of is; and how we must all receive him before we can be stiled true Believers.
Secondly, I shall lay down some Scripture Marks whereby we may know, whether we have thus received the Holy Ghost or not.
Thirdly, by way of Conclusion, I shall address myself to several distinct Classes of Professors, concerning the Doctrine that shall have been delivered.
“The Marks of the New Birth” is my most favorite pamphlet that I have ever made. You can read both, “A Prayer for one desiring to be awakened to an Experience of the New Birth” and then the second, shorter section, “A Prayer for one newly awakened to a Sense of the Divine Life” in my Etsy Store. You will want to pass these pamphlets out to your reenactor friends at every 18th century event that you attend. Purchase this one for $9.95 from my Etsy Store at the following link: Purchase Here
Bonus Review below:
Whitefield’s 1739 sermon, Intercession Every Christian’s Duty is a good one about praying for each other. In this sermon, George Whitefield, exhorts us to pray for one another. He divides this sermon into three parts as transcribed below.
- First, That it is every Christian’s Duty to Pray for Others, as well as for Himself.
- Secondly, WHO are Those that we ought to Pray for, and in what Manner we should do it.
III. Thirdly, I SHALL offer some Motives to excite all Christians to abound in this great Duty of Intercession.
This replica of Whitefield’s 24-page sermon/pamphlet, Intercession, is printed on laid paper and sewn together with linen thread. It measures 4 1/2 inches wide by 6 1/2 inches tall. You may purchase this sermon/pamphlet for $9.95 from my Etsy Store at the following link: Purchase Here
*You may listen to the “Intercession” sermon online on YouTube at the following link: Listen Here